Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My Style Icon

Many people have style icons, and that's cool. My style icon is Lizzie Bougatsos from Gang Gang Dance. It's not because she has a dark, weird, punk style (although that don't hurt), but more because she has the rare ability to throw on anything and make it look good.

First, she is beautiful. She sort of looks like that actress Laura San Giacomo from Sex, Lies, and Videotape.


Second, have you ever seen Lizzie perform? She was made for the stage. Her voice is like a combo of Kate Bush and Betty Boop. She dances like a ballerina on a lot of coffee. And Gang Gang Dance is also just a really good band. When Lizzie performs I can't take my eyes off her, even if she's just dancing around on a regular dance floor. Watch her play the drums! I dare you to take your eyes off of her! (note: this isn't the best live video of GGD because their sound was fucked up, but watch her drum in the beginning of the song).

So I have known Lizzie for a few years now, and we're both from Long Island and that's a big plus for me in terms of friendship. Even when she's just wearing a t shirt and jeans she looks great. She can be wearing high end, or something she bought off Orchard Street and I wouldn't know the difference. Her hair is like a pile of black ribbons and even when it's a big old mess, I can't tell if it's intentional or not.

A lof of people drool over expensive clothes, but I don't think that's what makes good style. I think it's the ability to pull off something casual, normal, ordinary, and/or inexpensive and make it look fabulous. That's what Lizzie does and I salute her for it.